相片

Photographer's Note

The development of knowledge that took place in Poland in the second half of the 18th Century included astronomy, which can be illustrated by the establishment of astronomical observatories. These were founded at the University of Vilnius in 1753, in Cracow in 1791 and in Warsaw in 1825. All the observatories were built in large towns which meant that as the towns developed, the conditions for conducting astronomical observations worsened. This is because the clear and dark sky is essential for observations.
On the July 29, 1938, a large meteorological-astronomical observatory was opened on the peak of Pop Ivan (2022 m above sea level) in Czarnohora (East Carpathians). An astrograph (a telescope for photographing the sky) with a 330 mm objective was brought from England and installed. However, soon after, in September 1939, the work of the observatory was interrupted by the invasion of the Red Army. This left the building in ruins from which it never recovered.
The Planning and Building of
the Astronomical Observatory at Suhora
The idea of building a modern astronomical observatory in a mountainous region, and therefore in good climatic conditions came from Professor Jerzy M.Kreiner, in the first half of 1983. It was accepted by the management of the Cracow Pedagogical University who even at the planning stage identified the observatory not only as a location where new techniques of research for the Astronomy Department could take place, but also a place of vital significance in the training of physics and astronomy teachers. After site visits to several mountainous regions, and also after conducting analyses of climatic conditions, it was decided that the best place to built the observatory would be the peak of Suhora in the Gorce mountain range, 1000 m above sea level. This location was few kilometers away from the nearest villages, and was surrounded by a large forest area. In support for building the observatory at the Suhora site, was the existence of a chair-lift at nearby Tobolow (934 m above sea level), which solved many of the transportation problems.
The design of the observatory was prepared by R.Walczykiewicz and his group In the Cracow Building Company Biprostal and the arrangement of all necessary formal matters took place in 1985.In the spring of the next year, the building started. On July 24, 1986, the corner stone was laid, and a few months later the basic construction of the observatory was completed. The official opening of the observatory took place on November 5, 1987. "Let this place represent a vision for the 21st Century", were the words of the then Rector, Professor Rozmus as he handed the control of the observatory over to the staff of the Astronomical Department of the Cracow Pedagogical University.

riclopes, Didi, elmec, vinicio, lechmt has marked this note useful

Photo Information
  • Copyright: Ghost Cat (jasmis) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 3156 W: 788 N: 3818] (58653)
  • Genre: 地方
  • Medium: 黑白
  • Date Taken: 2005-01-08
  • Categories: 自然
  • Camera: Canon G3
  • Exposure:f/16, 1/640 seconds
  • More Photo Info: view
  • Photo Version:Original Version
  • Date Submitted: 2005-12-08 3:36
Viewed: 1192
Points: 44
Discussions
Additional Photos by Ghost Cat (jasmis) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 3156 W: 788 N: 3818] (58653)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH