相片

Photographer's Note

Bansk tiavnica is a town in central Slovakia, in the middle of an immense caldera created by the collapse of an ancient volcano. For its size, the caldera is known as tiavnica Mountains. Bansk tiavnica has a population of more than 10,000. It is a completely preserved medieval minning town. Because of their historical value, the town and its surroundings were proclaimed by the UNESCO to be a World Heritage Site on December 11, 1993.

SHORT HISTORY
In the High and Late Middle Ages, the town was the main producer of silver and gold in the Kingdom of Hungary (Slovakia was part of that kingdom from the 11th century until 1918). The town was called terra banensium (the land of miners) as early as in 1156. The original Slovak population was joined by skilled German settlers who started arriving in the 13th century. Bansk tiavnica gained the status of a royal town in 1238, as one of the first towns in the Kingdom of Hungary.
The town was also a foremost center of innovation in mining industry. In 1627, gun powder was used here for the first time in the world in a mine. To drain water from the flooded mines, a sophisticated system of water reservoirs and channels, known as tajchy, was designed and built by the local scientists Jozef Karol Hell, Maximilian Hell, and Samuel Mikov璯y in the 18th century. Tajchy not only saved the mines from being closed, but also provided energy for the early industrialization. In 1735, the first mining school in the country was founded there by Samuel Mikov璯y. In the years 1762-1770, the Hofkammer in Vienna, with support from Queen Maria Theresa, transformed the school into the famous Mining Academy, creating the first technical university in the world.[1] In 1919, after the creation of Czechoslovakia, the Academy was moved to Sopron in Hungary. The student traditions of the Academy are still living in the "successors": University of Miskolc, and colleges in Sopron, Sz幧esfeh廨v嫫, and Dunajv嫫os. In 1782, Bansk tiavnica was the third biggest town in the Kingdom of Hungary after Bratislava and Debrecen. But the towns development was too closely linked to the mining activity which had been progressively declining since the second half of the 19th century.

Yar has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 3054
Points: 10
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Andrzej asd (Andrzej_HHH) Gold Star Critiquer/Silver Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 400 W: 14 N: 348] (2480)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH